eSight: Beating Visual Impairment With Technology
Utilize Camera Technology to Create eSight
The eSight team turned to Lantronix to tackle a big design challenge: utilize camera technology to create an enhanced vision device that would be functional and comfortable for users.
- Integrating cameras, image processing and high-definition screens into a wearable device
- Ensuring functional operation in real-life user environments, including peripheral views
- Enabling wireless connectivity to allow the device to take photos and stream content
- Implementing technologies with the necessary on-device processing power
- Product affordability both for the design and retail price for users
“ Utilizing the Lantronix engineering team’s skills, knowledge and technology, we were able to create a wearable device that enables people with legal blindness to see again – some for the very first time.”
Charles Lim, Chief Technology Officer, eSight Corp.
Lantronix Customization and Integration Services
With the goal of making the eSight device affordable for users, Lantronix’s high-performance, low-latency custom solution for eSight featured a highly technical design that integrates custom circuit boards and software to take advantage of the power of the Qualcomm APQ8084 application processor. The design also included cameras, OLED displays, sensors, touchpad, Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth, USB, audio, battery charging and device management. Software development included camera focusing technologies, security and driver support.
eSight Enables Wearers to See
A typical eSight wearer has visual acuity of 20/60-20/800. Wearing eSight and looking at the live footage it captures, many achieve 20/20. Advanced algorithms optimize and enhance images before showing them on two screens in front of the eyes. Delivering more data to the brain creates an increased reaction from the eyes that enables the user to see faces, read and live a much more normal life.
As a bonus, unlike other assistive devices, eSight also allow users to take photos and stream content directly to the eSight screens and extend a shared account to loved ones so they can see what they see and help customize their experience. Together, eSight Corp and Lantronix took advantage of the Android™ 7.0 smartphone-caliber processor to create the most valuable features of the eSight device:
- High-speed, high-definition (18 megapixel) camera with liquid lens and 24x zoom, contrast, focus, color settings and biopic tilt for peripheral vision
- Two high-resolution, OLED screens for full binocular vision
- Sensors for detecting distance, temperature and orientation
- Advanced UI with HDMI, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth that allow the user to take photos, stream content and get automatic updates
Benefits of Using Lantronix Include:
- Single-vendor engineering solutions
- Affordable development cycle
- Ability to customize Qualcomm APQ8084
- Speed to production and market
- Delivery of a certified solution to market
“Bringing sight to people is an incredible accomplishment. We are honored to support eSight in creating a wearable device that harnesses the power of technology to change lives.”
Victor Gonzalez, Senior Director, Engineering