RoHS, REACH and WEEE Compliance Statement
On January 27, 2003 the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union authorized Directive 2002/95/EC on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment. This new directive, also referred to as RoHS (“ro-has”) requires that manufacturers reduce usage of six hazardous substances to minimum acceptable levels by July of 2006.
The six substances affected are:
- Lead (Pb)
- Hexavalent chromium (Cr +6)
- Mercury (Hg)
- Polybrominated biphenyl (PBB)
- Cadmium (Cd)
- Polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE)
On the same date, Directive 2002/96/EC or WEEE (waste electrical and electronic equipment) was authorized. This directive encourages and sets specific criteria for the collection, handling and recycling of electric and electronic waste.
- Sets requirements for the amount of WEEE collection (separate from households)
- Holds resellers accountable for providing WEEE returns, free of charge.
- Requires WEEE to be treated
- Requires manufacturers to mark EEE products with the WEEE symbol (trash can with “X”)
Both directives impact the entire electronics industry at every level, from the retail store, to manufacturers, distributors and OEMs. In addition, new REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization, and Restriction of Chemicals) regulations are being formulated that will further impact the electronics industry.
Lantronix has always been concerned about the environment and the future of our planet. Our strategy to support these environmentally important initiatives include…
- 90% of all Lantronix packing materials are already recyclable
- Lantronix products have not included the intentional use of Mercury (Hg) and Cadmium (Cd) since 2003.
- Since 2005, 100% of new Lantronix designs have been RoHS compliant.
- Since 2005, Lantronix has been shipping products that meet RoHS requirements.
- Since 2006, 90% of Lantronix plastics have been recyclable (no glue, coatings, inserts).
- As of Q2 of 2010, Lantronix is actively working towards making all existing products REACH compliant.
- Lantronix is proactively working towards ensuring that new products will be REACH compliant, in addition to adhering to RoHS and WEEE regulations.
For product Certificates of Compliance, please refer to individual product pages.
For More Information
- RoHS Directive 2002/95/EC
- Underwriter Labs – Summary of RoHS Directive
- Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE) Overview
- What is the Law on WEEE?
- WEEE Directive 2002/96/EC
- CMP – Green Supply Line
- REACH Regulation
For any other questions please contact us at: email@example.com