The compact XPort Direct+ is an embedded device server module delivering high-performance Ethernet connectivity and web server capabilities.
Manufacturers of high-volume, price-sensitive products can now rapidly and even more affordably web-enable virtually any device with a serial interface on its microcontroller. With this capability, OEMs can offer remote access and control over the Internet as a standard feature in their products.
Economical Platform for High-Volume Deployments
This ready-to-use solution is built on the same time-tested and market-proven technology offered in the successful XPort. With its low cost and powerful functionality, XPort Direct+ is ideal for high-volume product deployments where low-cost, limited functionality host microcontrollers traditionally create a barrier to network-enablement.
- Building automation (lighting, etc.)
- Consumer electronics
- Energy/metering applications
- Home automation (high-end audio, alarm panels, etc.)
- Point of sale (POS) products
- RFID readers
- Sensors and controllers
- Vending machines
- White/durable goods
Integrated Network Communications Module
XPort Direct+ acts as a dedicated co-processor module to optimize network activities, permitting the device’s host microcontroller to function at maximum efficiency. Serial data from the device microcontroller’s CMOS logic-level serial port is packetized and delivered over an Ethernet network via TCP or UDP data packets. Similarly, incoming TCP or UDP packets are unbundled and presented to the attached device over its microcontroller’s serial interface.
XPort Direct+ features a built-in web server for communications with a device via a standard Internet browser. Web capability can be used for remote configuration, real-time monitoring, upgrades and troubleshooting. XPort has 512 KB of on module Flash for web pages and firmware upgrades.
This fully-integrated and ready-to-deploy module also includes a 10/100 MAC/PHY, 256 KB of SRAM, and an RJ45 jack with magnetics, and 256-bit AES encryption for secure communications. Easy to embed, this device server module enables engineers to focus on their core competency while reducing development time and cost and increasing product value.
Feature-Rich Software, Easy Configuration and Deployment
Eliminating the need to negotiate the intricacies of Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) or Internet Protocol (IP), XPort Direct+ incorporates:
- Robust embedded operating system
- Full-featured network protocol stack
- Proven, parameter configurable, ready-to-use serial-to-Ethernet application
- Built-in web server for device communication and configuration via a standard browser
- 256-bit AES encryption
The Windows-based DeviceInstaller makes configuring one or more XPort Direct+ modules in a subnet quick and easy.
- Install and configure XPort and load firmware
- Assign IP & other network specific addresses
- Set wireless parameters
- Load custom web pages and view specific device data
- Enable web-based configuration of the device
- Ping or query the attached device(s) over the network
- Allow Telnet communication with the device(s)