An OEM of innovative medical devices needed a secure way to establish connectivity and transmit data from their automated external defibrillators to a cloud application.
An automated external defibrillator (AED) is a portable emergency response device that monitors and analyzes a patient’s heart rhythm in the event of cardiac arrest. When CPR intervention is necessary, the device uses this data to provide verbal and on-screen instructions to coach the rescuer in delivering chest compressions. Additionally, the device can administer an electrical shock to help restore the patient’s heart to an effective rhythm. The OEM wanted to easily integrate a secure networking solution that would relay this data from the defibrillator to a cloud-based platform, allowing first responders and medical professionals to remotely monitor a patient’s health status in real-time.
Could Lantronix provide a secure, reliable solution to allow the transfer of data from the defibrillators to the cloud?
- Secure wireless connectivity between the defibrillator and the cloud
- Easy-to-configure and reliable
The Solution: The Lantronix® xPico® Wi-Fi
The OEM turned to the Lantronix xPico Wi-Fi embedded device server to provide robust and secure Internet of Things (IoT) enablement for their defibrillators. Featuring the Lantronix soft access point (Soft AP) and client mode, the xPico Wi-Fi device server allows the defibrillator to securely transmit real-time data through a TLS connection. The TLS connection serves as a private protocol that enables the secure exchange of information between the defibrillators and the OEM’s cloud application. Furthermore, the OEM’s end-users can monitor the patient’s heart rate and receive critical health alerts from a smart phone or tablet. These alerts can be sent automatically to the nearest hospital or emergency personnel, allowing the afflicted individual to promptly receive medical attention.
The Lantronix xPico Wi-Fi embedded device server provided the OEM with the secure connectivity needed to quickly and easily develop their networking interface. The OEM can now deliver a reliable, remote method of monitoring critical health data to help improve the medical assistance their end users provide.
Lantronix xPico Wi-Fi Deployment Application: Transferring Data from the Defibrillator to the Cloud
- Cost-effective – Saved the OEM from expending valuable time and resources to build a robust Wi-Fi solution from scratch
- Faster time-to-market – OEM was able to reduce product development time and go to market faster with an IoT solution
- Compact form factor – Made it easy for the OEM to incorporate a mobile-ready, wireless solution into their product design
Reduce your development costs, shorten your time to market and leverage mobile solutions with the xPico Wi-Fi—one of the world’s smallest and most flexible embedded Wi-Fi IoT device servers. This product includes low power, simultaneous Soft AP and client mode, full IP and WLAN stacks and an industry best 5-year warranty.
Lantronix xPico Wi-Fi Key Benefits:
- Easy to deploy and use: No need for software development or to write a single line of code.
- Simultaneous Soft AP and Client mode: Allowing for easy points of access while maintaining a secure network without the need for special clients.
- Mobile-ready: Enables direct access to device data via smartphones, tablets and connected PCs.
- Robust: Device server application suite hardened by Lantronix over the last decade.
- Secure: 256-bit AES Encryption.
- Industrial-ready: Operating environment at extended temperatures: -40° to +85° C.
- Standards-based: Conforms to latest WLAN and IP internetworking standards ensuring interoperability with a broad range of deployed equipment.
- Customizable: Designed with customizable capabilities for rapid OEM adoption.
- Power: Low-power profile optimized for battery-powered devices.
- Peripheral Connectivity: Serial, SPI, USB (device), GPIOs.
- Form Factor: Compact footprint available in both SMT (castellation) and B2B connector options.
- Guaranteed: 5-Year limited warranty