A leading telematics manufacturer needed a reliable and robust industrial-grade wireless solution for an in-vehicle telematics application for deployment in commercial vehicle fleets.
The in-vehicle telematics devices would be installed inside the truck and trailer units of commercial fleet vehicles to collect Bluetooth sensor data, location coordinates, and driving habits while in operation. When the vehicle returns to headquarters or service stations, the telematics device syncs and transmits data from both the truck and trailer units via Wi-Fi to the company’s analytics back end. This data is used to determine the vehicle’s condition and inform technicians of any maintenance needed while at various service stations. In addition, commercial fleet operators can analyze performance data to make better decisions on routing and to train drivers on how to improve fuel efficiency.
The OEM needed a certified, secure and reliable industrial-grade solution that could deliver secure data transmission and operate in various environmental conditions. Could Lantronix provide a robust wireless solution that would allow this telematics OEM to quickly deliver its smart connected in-vehicle telematics solution to the market?
- Dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Certified enterprise-grade Wi-Fi connectivity and data security
- Industrial-grade design
The Solution: The Lantronix xPico 250 Advanced Embedded Wireless IoT Gateway
With certified dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, antenna diversity and industrial-grade wireless connectivity management, the xPico 250 gateway delivered the robust performance the OEM needed to ensure that their connected in-vehicle telematics solution would work even in the harshest environments. The xPico 250 gateway’s built-in security services help to ensure the security of both data-at-rest and data-in-motion, and include secure boot and secure FOTA features so that only authorized software can run on the embedded gateway.
The xPico 250 gateway’s built-in network communications engine eliminated the need for the OEM to invest thousands of hours in application development, enabling them to build a market-ready prototype quicker, reduce total cost of development and go to production faster, and deliver its new solution to market on time.
- Multi-service gateway to facilitating seamless Wi-Fi and Bluetooth communications
- Faster time-to-market
- Robust field performance with best-in-class enterprise grade dual-band Wi-Fi Local communication with driver via Bluetooth and remotely with analytics applications
- Industrial grade wireless connectivity solution suitable for mobile environments
About the xPico 200 Embedded IoT Gateways
Best-in-Class Embedded Solutions for Managed Industrial Connectivity
Featuring dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, antenna diversity, enterprise Wi-Fi security and robust wireless connectivity management, the xPico 200 family of embedded IoT gateways delivers higher performance and scalable deployment suitable for the busiest industrial and enterprise settings. Simplify embedded application development and go to market faster with the xPico 200 gateway’s built-in network communications engine and flexible system integration modes.
xPico 200 Key Benefits:
- Dual-band Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) and Ethernet
- Bluetooth 4.2 (BT and BLE – xPico 250 only)
- Enterprise Wi-Fi security (WPA2- Enterprise, EAP)
- Automatic network connection management
- Soft AP + client mode that enables direct access without disrupting machine field operations
- Industrial grade design for operation in extreme operations
- Pre-integrated with MACH10 IoT platform