A large telecommunications provider needed a way to remotely access and manage critical data center infrastructure housed in each of their geographically distributed sites. Conscious of their service-level agreement (SLA) with customers, the provider also needed to incorporate a robust cellular out-of-band management solution to establish a dedicated channel for controlling connected equipment if the main network went down.
The provider was particularly worried about access to key infrastructure and data in the event of a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack from a malicious entity via the Internet. Concerns about these types of attacks have been at their highest in recent years due to the shift from traditional on-premise data centers to hybrid architectures that run in the cloud. Having out-of-band capabilities mitigates the risks of a costly network outage by providing an alternative “way in” to mission-critical equipment.
Could Lantronix provide an out-of-band remote management solution with cellular backup that would give users the ability to securely and remotely access their critical data center equipment?
• Instant access to the console port of any piece of equipment within a local data center
• Availability and control are top priorities even if there is a DDoS attack
• Must make full use of the audit log tracking features of the Lantronix SLC 8000 unit
• Simple, Reliable, Cost effective
The Solution: Lantronix SLC 8000 and PremierWave XC-HSPA+ Cellular Gateway
The customer deployed the Lantronix SLC 8000 advanced console manager in their remote data centers to enable secure access and management of remote IT infrastructure. Key IT personnel can now control SLC 8000 device ports via Telnet/SSH, or a web browser-based console client without any proprietary software. For added convenience, reconfiguring, rebooting and reloading firmware can be completed from a single point of contact using the command line interface.
Next, the provider incorporated the Lantronix PremierWave XC-HSPA+ cellular gateway at each key site as an independent access point to each SLC 8000 unit. Network architects established direct console access by setting up a cellular connection using the main administrator port on the front panel of the SLC 8000. Administrators now have command line level access for debugging and rebooting any piece of equipment attached to the console manager even in the event of a DDoS attack on their network.
• Engineers and administrators could provide 24/7 support for the data network infrastructure system for resilient operations
• Audit logs were maintained without losses as per corporate guidelines
• Response times were significantly improved
About the Lantronix SLC 8000
Future Proof Your Secure Out-Of-Band Management Solution
The Lantronix SLC 8000 advanced console manager is the industry’s first modular console manager that provides secure remote access to IT equipment while reducing deployment costs and time.
SLC 8000 Key Benefits:
• Reduces downtime and increases efficiency with anytime, anywhere access to IT equipment
• Enables custom “mix-and-match” configurations with USB and RS-232 modules
• Simplifies service deployments and balances CAPEX and OPEX with its modular design
• In-band (Ethernet) and out-of-band access (dial-in/out via modem, as well as cellular: PremierWave XC HSPA+ and 4G LTE with newly available LTE connectivity kit)
• Front LCD and keypad allows for quick network set-up and easy deployment
• Protects management interfaces with authentication and FIPS 140-2 compliant encryption
• Centralized management integration with the Lantronix vSLM and ConsoleFlow management software
About the Lantronix PremierWave XC-HSPA+
High Speed 3.5G HSPA+ Intelligent Gateway
PremierWave XC HSPA+ is an industrial grade 3.5G wireless solution offering Penta-band HSPA+ performance, network redundancy, and enterprise-level security for mission critical applications, time sensitive event tracking, and M2M connectivity.
Lantronix PremierWave XC-HSPA+ Key Benefits:
• Dual connectivity offers flexibility and redundancy
• Provides network connectivity to virtually any device with a serial port
• Simple device set-up, configuration and monitoring with powerful, industry-standard management tools (Web, CLI, XML)