Connected weighing scales and POS systems have been deployed in the retail environment for many years. This connectivity was typically hard wired via serial or Ethernet. In today’s highly dynamic retail space, quick configuration of the store and the various departments is required to accommodate ever changing products and services. In addition, pop-up retail environments that sell seasonal goods require systems that are flexible and mobile. Installing wired connectivity for this purpose leads to store downtime and may not even be feasible in most pop-up retail setups.
A global manufacturer of industrial and commercial weighing scales needed an industrial-grade and reliable enterprise Wi-Fi solution for building commercial weighing machines used in retail environments. The connected industrial weighing scales would be used in retail stores and communicate accurate weight and pricing information on hundreds of items to the retailer’s point of sale systems. The OEM needed a globally certified solution that would mitigate significant product validation and re-certification risks and cost.
Could Lantronix provide a secure, robust wireless solution that would allow this OEM to quickly deliver its smart connected weighing scale solutions to the market?
- Dual-band Wi-Fi
- Certified enterprise grade Wi-Fi connectivity and data security
- Industrial grade design
Solution: The Lantronix xPico 240 Advanced Embedded Wireless IoT Gateway
With certified dual-band Wi-Fi, antenna diversity, Enterprise Wi-Fi security and industrial-grade wireless connectivity management, the xPico 240 gateway accelerated the OEM’s path to a market ready smart weighing scale offering that would be able to operate in the challenging RF environment within the retail store.
With a built-in network communications engine and the ability to customize the gateway via the SDK eliminated the need for the OEM to invest thousands of hours in application development, enabling them to build a market ready prototype quicker, reduce total cost of development and go to production faster, and deliver its new solution to market on time.
- Faster time-to-market
- Best-in-class enterprise grade dual-band Wi-Fi ensures reliable and robust field performance
- Enterprise Wi-Fi security supporting the complete set of EAP authentication protocols
- Built-in network communications engine reduced application development time
- Compact footprint makes integration into the product design easy
Lantronix xPico 200 Embedded IoT Gateways
Featuring dual-band Wi-Fi, antenna diversity, enterprise Wi-Fi security and robust wireless connectivity management, the xPico 200 family of embedded IoT gateways delivers higher performance and scalable deployment suitable for the busiest industrial and enterprise settings. Simplify embedded application development and go to market faster with the xPico 200 gateway’s built-in network communications engine and flexible system integration modes.
xPico 200 Key Benefits:
- Dual-band Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) and Ethernet
- Bluetooth 4.2 (BT and BLE – xPico 250 only)
- Enterprise Wi-Fi security (WPA2- Enterprise, EAP)
- Automatic network connection management
- Soft AP + client mode that enables direct access without disrupting machine field operations
- Industrial grade design for operation in extreme operations
- Pre-integrated with MACH10 IoT platform